You Cheated On Your Diet (Healthy Lifestyle) How to Recover
It happens. Don’t beat yourself up about it, BUT don’t let yourself be set back from reaching your goals. One of the worst things you can do is to think “I already blew it, so I’m just going to eat what I want the rest of the night”. That’s like saying “I’m going to start my diet tomorrow, so I am binging tonight”. We believe that people should not “diet” and should not think of losing weight as a dieting. Instead, if dieting, choose a healthy lifestyle. So many chronic health issues are caused or prevented by maintaining a healthy weight with the proper diet and exercise. Doctors say that by losing weight, just this one change can prevent and help so many chronic health issues such as:
- High blood pressure
- Out of control cholesterol levels
- Fatty liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Heart Disease
- Type II Diabetes
- Sleep issues and sleep apnea
- Fertility issues
- And more
Did you hear that? One positive change can improve so many health aspects!
Some people think that they can just “blow the entire day” after the so-called cheat. NO, please don’t. If you have stayed under or around 50 carbs because you are maintaining, you are probably alright. If you have gone higher, you will need to reset, if you don’t, it will set you back both emotionally and physically. A single meal can put you over the top with all the poor-quality food that is available. Remember at 50 carbs you are maintaining, to lose weight you must get below 25 again.
Recovering from Cheating
It’s not the end of the world but you’re going to have to go low carb and get back on your meal plan for long-term results. We are talking about long-term results for complete lifestyle. Here are some tips to help you get back control:
- Track your carbs. This is very important because EVERYTHING COUNTS. Doing this will help you not cheat. Again, the goal is not to go over 25 carbs.
- Try intermittent fasting. By combining intermittent fasting and keto you will have better luck getting back into ketosis a lot faster. This will shift your body from using carbs to fats a lot quicker.
- Exercise more. Physical activity helps with so many things. Physical activity will deplete the sugar and glycogen stores in your body. Do any activity that gets you moving such as running, walking, dancing, biking, kayaking, etc.
Try MCT supplements. MCT is a fatty acid that is rapidly absorbed by your body and is converted to ketones.
Now, let’s move on and learn how to avoid cheat days. Here are a few things you can do to help get you out of the mind frame of not cheating:
- Practice mindfulness. This term is used so often but keep it simple. It means paying attention to your own body because it can resist cravings and emotional eating that so many people are guilty of.
- Make your eating and diet something that you like and enjoy. Make sure you are incorporating high protein foods because this will help you not feel hungry. By consciously thinking about your meals will also help you not get bored with the same old foods.
- Plan your snacks and meals. People often complain about this, but it is not that difficult. This will make it easier to stick to and actually ave you time. Eating spontaneously is much harder and adds stress to something that should be making you feel healthier.
- Avoid buying anything that is tempting for you. This can be difficult especially if you are living with people that do eat the way you do. It is also hard if you shop when you are hungry. At least keep them out of sight.
- Have an accountability person. At least in the beginning to get you started this is important. New Vitality Centers likes to see you once a week or every other week. This not only allows for the weigh in’s but also helps you stay on target with coaching and added information. Accountability to someone makes it more difficult to cheat.
New Vitality Centers offers FREE InBody testing to help you know what your body is made up of.
New Vitality Centers
665 S. Kings Ave.
Brandon, FL 33511